The home page shows recent work and developments. Listed above are specific pages. If you click on the images you should be able to get a close up view.

Wednesday 5 May 2010

Gladys, 04. 05. 2010


We only did three quickies today, one in the morning and two in the afternoon. All three were done with a conte pastel.

I decided to do a portrait today and had to do it from where I was positioned last week . It was probably too far away. I drew it in with a thinned down mixture of vermilion and ultramarine which I also used to block in some of the darker areas. I also tried to use some recently acquired light red, but it was too opaque at this stage. I mixed in some white and started to add the middle tones trying to match the warm and cool colors. Adjustments to the drawing were needed particularly to the eyes. I got bogged down with the drawing a bit and the painting started getting tighter. I was only using vermilion ,ultramarine, lemon yellow and white at this stage. To get her hair dark enough I made up a black using cadmium yellow ultramarine and alizarin. I started to use ultramarine and alizarin to darken certain areas on the face. The problem with Brockweir is that the light changes a lot in the afternoon and you have to make adjustments. It might be a better idea to do one in the morning and a different one in the afternoon and then work on them both the following week. Towards the end I started to use varying mixtures of light red, ultramarine and white as it was easier to get the warm and cool mixtures I wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment