The home page shows recent work and developments. Listed above are specific pages. If you click on the images you should be able to get a close up view.

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Gladys, Brockweir, 27 04. 2010.


A strange little painting. I never really got the drawing right' the head and body don't seem to go together. I think it was a mistake to not have the top of the head in as it seemed to make the measuring more difficult. I wanted the hand in and to have the top of the head as well would have pushed the figure too far back. I blocked the whole figure in with diluted paint using varying mixtures of cadmium yellow, vermilion and ultramarine , but no white. I wanted to go from dark to light. I don't think it was a good decision as the colours got crude and dirty and it would have been better to have added a bit of white or naples yellow to the mixtures When you make a bad move in the early stages you are always fighting it for the rest of the painting. I applied the paint using a variety of brushes because I couldn't settle on one that felt right. The flat bristle seemed better than the synthetic ones I have been favouring lately.

Some areas of the painting I am pleased with. I like some of the 'slabs' of paint I have applied in certain areas and I think the cool blues on her face and back work well. The warmer side of her body is not as good and is too yellow.

Overall I am quite pleased with the outcome and even though there are areas that could do with working on I am going to leave it as it is. Next week I will take advantage of her amazing face and do a portrait.




No comments:

Post a Comment